In life, there are few things that only have one “right” way of doing them. There’s no one-size-fits-all equation to solve our problems. Typically, scientifically-based activities like building a bridge or constructing a building, per se, follow exact equations and these should most definitely follow the blueprints. However, even bridges and buildings built for a similar purpose can be executed in vastly different methods.
This can also be said of advocating for slow fashion. There is no one way to do sustainability “right,” but there are lots of ways to consider how sustainability can work into your lifestyle. When you care about the planet, doing your part is significant no matter how you execute it.
So, the question remains: how can we as customers become slow fashion advocates? Luckily for you, we’ve got some answers!
Rome Wasn’t Built in a Day. Neither Will a Slow Fashion Industry Change.
Before we dive into the how-to’s of eco-responsible lifestyles, it’s important to remember that you have the power to change the fashion industry. Yes, that’s right, you, reading this blog right now, you have that power. We may think our purchases are trivial in such a large industry, yet those purchases speak volumes to what we believe and support in this world.
Use your dollars to vote for what brands are out to change the world. The products you buy showcase the brands you support and the more you support sustainable brands, the more brands will acknowledge the need to take steps in the direction to a slow fashion world.
Not sure whether the brands you love practice sustainability? Cue the power of social media! Chances are, if you’re asking the question, so is someone else. Social media gives customers a platform to speak and a direct line of communication to start the conversation. It also gives brands a platform to express their values and outline their business practices. Tell brands what’s important to you and ask them to share their missions.
One of the greatest beauties of sustainable lifestyles is that you don’t have to stop at just fashion. There are countless businesses selling countless different products and are practicing sustainability. Once you start looking, you’ll find businesses everywhere with missions you’ll love to support.
Less Talk, More Action.
- Wear natural fibers. All fabrics are produced from fibers. While most modern clothing is made from man-made fibers, natural fibers are organically occurring fibers from plants and animals. They are created without toxins and are biodegradable.
- Avoid fast fashion (no surprise here). Do your research and find what brands are fast and what brands are not. A usual indicator of fast fashion is a “too good to be true” price. Before you buy, ask the ‘why.’ Why is this piece only $5? What shortcuts did this brand take to achieve such a low cost? This strategy takes some effort, but it’s worth every extra minute.
- Buy pre-loved/vintage attire. You’ll be amazed at what you can find in thrift stores. Buying secondhand cuts down on bulk in landfills and slows the use of resources for new items to be made. More people are building their dream wardrobes through the power of thrifting and are helping to save the environment as they go. Check out our Thriving on Thrifting blog for your best tips and tricks to slaying the thrift life.
- Find pieces that you truly love. The more use you get out of a product, the less need you have to buy something new. That results in fewer items produced and more wins for the environment. An important tip to remember is a tip from Sandra Bullock’s character in the Oscar-winning movie, The Blind Side: “Well, one thing I know about shopping is that if you don’t absolutely love it in the store, you won’t wear it.”
- Convertible apparel expands your wardrobe without expanding your carbon footprint. When one piece can be worn many ways, think of all the possibilities AND all the extra unnecessary clothing items saved! We offer a whole line of convertible apparel; from pieces that can be worn 6+ ways to pieces that can be worn 18+ ways, you’ll never tire of your attire.
A side-by-side to demonstrate how to style our Short Top.
More than Beauty.
We believe in being a fashion brand that stands for something more than beauty. We believe that saying no to fast fashion can create a shift in consumer habits that lead to slower consumption, are less expensive for you in the long run, and keep bulk out of landfills. If you believe the same, we have a spot for you on our team! Our Curator Program offers the opportunity to run your own small business all the while impacting the world one Fair Trade item at a time. What better way to advocate for slow fashion than to be in the business of it?
There may not be a “right” way to sustainability; however, there are numerous ways you can try. Take the first step and see where your journey takes you. It could be the best journey of your life.